THE GRAND CANYON OF OARS
The Most Powerful Oar in Whitewater
With 33% more stiffness than the SGG™ oar, the Cataract® Oars’ SGX™ oar handles large, heavy boats and big water with ease. The SGX™ resists major displacement by massive whitewater surges and provides instant response and precision when it matters most. It’s the go to oar for Grand Canyon outfitters and for good reason. In truly belligerent water most river rats prefer to have the SGX™ in hand because of the added stiffness and optimum fortitude it provides. Whatever your goal – the safest route, the most exhilarating line, or the river less traveled – the SGX™ gives you the ability to bail or proceed like no other oar can. Like all our large diameter oars, the SGX is compatible with our Magnum™, Cataract™, Cutthroat™, and Streamlite™ blades, so it fits with your style and conditions of rowing.
GET MORE FROM YOUR OAR
Crafted to get you wherever you want to go on the river
Whether by raft or drift boat, take control of your journey with the best composite oar available. Using patented manufacturing technology, the SGX™ oar is made in the USA with premium, lightweight carbon fiber and fiberglass composite material. So easy to maintain and so durable, this is the last oar you’ll ever buy. We increase the life of every oar with a tough, clear gloss finish that protects from scratches, dings, and harmful UV rays. See our guide for proper care and maintenance of your Cataract® Oars.
All Cataract® SGX™ oars come standard with our innovative thumb notch for superior blade orientation and navigation. The only grip that keeps your blade how you want it at all times while offering the best in comfort to avoid cramping. These thumb notched grips make feathering a breeze and give first time rowers a massive advantage in technique. At Cataract® Oars we take performance to the next level.
Overall oar lengths include the 27″ long blade (sold separately). For a list of ACTUAL shaft lengths, see the “Specs” section.
- Only Available in Ice Blue.
- Filament wound oar shaft made of strong fiberglass/carbon fiber.
- 33% stiffer than our original SGG™ oar shaft. The added stiffness creates more responsiveness when maneuvering larger boats and burly swells.
- An innovative thumb notch on the end of the rubber-cushioned handles gives you superior orientation of your blade while your eyes stay focused on obstacles up ahead.
- Optional counterbalance handles add 4lbs at the top of the shaft reducing swing weight for less fatigue.
- Tough, urethane finish protects the shaft from scratches, dings, and UV rays, increasing the life of the oar.
- Compatible with Cataract™, Cutthroat™, Magnum II™ , Streamlite™ blades. These blades float.
- Optionally, add a rope wrap to protect your shaft from wear, give you a quieter rowing experience, and achieve better control in the oar locks.
THE BETTER OAR FOR BIGGER BOATS.
For moving a heavier raft or boat, you don’t want the dissipated energy of too much rebound. Our customers appreciate the rigidity of the SGX™ when hauling away on a big rig.
A MORE RIGID OAR FOR BURLIER WHITEWATER.
Lest you think that the SGX™ oar is too stiff, however—it isn’t. We’ve done our homework on this beast, giving it the backbone to stand up to serious punishment, while offering enough flex to know you’re rowing with a carbon/fiberglass oar shaft from Cataract® Oars.
You’ll appreciate the lower rebound, but you won’t mistake the SGX™ for those old-school oars. You know, the ones that perform and feel like cast iron. When you’re really torquing the SGX™, you’ll find it has the ideal amount of responsiveness for high-strain conditions.
THE SGX™ OAR CONTAINS A WHOLE LOT OF CARBON.
Featuring a higher percentage of carbon in its material structure these oars pack in strength, and leave the extra weight. In fact, SGX™ oars are stiffer, yet weigh a bit less than the SGG™. More carbon equals less weight and more strength on the river.
ICE BLUE AND LENGTHY OARS.
You can get the SGX™ in one color and two standard lengths: 10′ ice blue and 11′ ice blue. If you’re rowing a bigger raft and need a longer oar, the SGX™ is the oar for you. We also do custom SGX™ lengths to accommodate every raft and every rower. If you need a shorter or longer oar, just ask.
BREAKDOWN SGX™ OAR
SHORTEN YOUR SGX™ OARS BY HALF
It’s always a good idea to keep a spare handy, but an extra oar can take up a lot of space. The breakdown two-piece version of our SGX™ shaft condenses to stow easy. On the water, snap the two halves together and you’ve got a full-length oar ready to row.
|Dimensions||95 × 2.5 × 2.5 in|
No Rope Wrap, Rope Wrap, Rope Wrap with Counter Balance
Shaft Material: Fiberglass, Carbon fiber – 33% Stiffer than SGG Oars
Shaft Diameter: 1 7/8”, 2 1/4” with rope wrap
Warranty: 1 year
*Available with Rope Wrap
|Shaft||Overall Length – including blade (sold separate)|
*custom lengths available upon request. Contact Us
Returns and ExchangesThere are a few important aspects to keep in mind when returning a product you purchased. You can return unwanted items by post within 7 working days of receipt of your goods and if the product is unused and still packaged.
- You have 14 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it.
- Only items that have been purchased directly from Cataract™ Oars.
- Please ensure that all item(s) you are returning is repackaged with all parts/stickers/etc..