The River of Doubt
A black, uncharted tributary of the Amazon that snakes through one of the most treacherous jungles in the world. Indians armed with poison-tipped arrows haunt its shadows; piranhas glide through its waters; boulder-strewn rapids turn the river into a roiling cauldron.
After his humiliating election defeat in 1912, Roosevelt set his sights on the most punishing physical challenge he could find, the first descent of an unmapped, rapids-choked tributary of the Amazon. Together with his son Kermit and Brazil’s most famous explorer, Cândido Mariano da Silva Rondon, Roosevelt accomplished a feat so great that many at the time refused to believe it. In the process, he changed the map of the western hemisphere forever.
Along the way, Roosevelt and his men faced an unbelievable series of hardships, losing their canoes and supplies to punishing whitewater rapids, and enduring starvation, Indian attack, disease, drowning, and a murder within their own ranks. Three men died, and Roosevelt was brought to the brink of suicide. The River of Doubt brings alive these extraordinary events in a powerful nonfiction narrative thriller that happens to feature one of the most famous Americans who ever lived.
From the soaring beauty of the Amazon rain forest to the darkest night of Theodore Roosevelt’s life, here is Candice Millard’s dazzling debut.
|8 × 5.3 × .4 in
Returns and ExchangesThere are a few important aspects to keep in mind when returning a product you purchased. You can return unwanted items by post within 7 working days of receipt of your goods and if the product is unused and still packaged.
- You have 14 calendar days to return an item from the date you received it.
- Only items that have been purchased directly from Cataract™ Oars.
- Please ensure that all item(s) you are returning is repackaged with all parts/stickers/etc..
Ship your item back to Cataract™ OarsFirst, contact us for any special details or requests: Address 2575 S 3270 W, Salt Lake City, UT 84119, USA Please remember to ensure that all item(s) you are returning is repackaged with all parts/stickers/etc.. For more information, view our full Shipping Policy information found on our website.
Save: $13.00Add to cart
- Guidebook for whitewater boating on the Selway River in Idaho that provides detailed and comprehensive maps, interesting information about the area and safety tips.
- Combines topo maps that are the same scale as the original USGS map with excellent mile-by-mile information about the rapids, geological features, historical sites, and other reference points.
- The maps in this 2nd have been upgraded to show topographic relief shading and more legible text.
- The high quality waterproof paper will stand up to the soaking it's going to get!
- Also addresses frequently asked questions about boating the river, area geology, archeology, resource protection and plants found in the area.
Paperback – May 27, 2003
Save: $9.00Add to cart